1.on earth到底,究竟
【情景点击】
on earth除字面上的“地球上,世界上”的意思之外,主要用作强调成分,相当于汉语的“到底,究竟”之意。例如:
What on earth did he say to you?
他到底对你说了些什么?
【情景对话】
A:Look! It seems that everybody is going crazy.
看!每个人都像疯了一样。
B:Yes. It seems to be out of control.
是的,看起来场面好像无法控制。
A:What on earth are they doing?
这些人到底在做什么?
B:God knows. Well,let’s get out of here.
天知道。我们还是离开这里吧。
2. mind one’s own business干自己的事,别管闲事
【情景点击】
mind one’s own business意思是“别多管闲事,干自己的事去”,常带有责备的语气。例如:
If I were in your position, I would stay out of the whole thing and mind my own business.
如果我处在你的位置,我就决不介入,不去管别人的闲事。
【情景对话】
A:What’s wrong with you?
你怎么啦?
B:I have such a bad headache.
我头痛得很。
A;Do you want aspirin?
吃点阿司匹林吧。
B:Please mind your own business and leave me alone.
别管我,让我安静一下。